The Micronesia Challenge is a commitment by the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, Guam, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands to preserve the natural resources that are crucial to the survival of Pacific traditions, cultures and livelihoods. [Tan Jenelle Boot Women's Naturalizer Riding 5gwHqnI] The overall goal of the Challenge is to effectively conserve at least 30% of the near-shore marine resources and 20% of the terrestrial resources across Micronesia by 2020.
This ambitious challenge far exceeds current goals set by international conventions and treaties, which call for countries to conserve 10% of terrestrial and marine resources by 2010 and 2012 respectively.
M Avarcas Spaniard Off Classic Leather White 38 8 Menorquinas US Sandals B M Simple EU White
By the numbers:
- EU M Classic Off Spaniard White Sandals Simple Leather White 38 Menorquinas US M 8 Avarcas B 6.7 million: area in square kilometers of the Pacific ocean. The Challenge represents more than 20% of the Pacific Island region and 5% of the largest ocean in the world.
- 66: number of species in Micronesia recorded on the IUCN Red List
- 1,300: species of fish living in the waters of Micronesia
- 483: species of corals (60% of all known corals)
- 1400: species of plants (200 endemic)
- 85: species of birds (50% endemic)
- 104: number of the 218 recognized Endemic Bird Areas confined entirely to islands around the world.
- $2 billion: annual net benefits to the Pacific from coral reefs
- $800 million: benefits annually distributed across Micronesia from coral reefs
- $12 million: initial funding goal for the Micronesia Challenge ($3 million committed thus far).
- 2006, March - Signed Declaration of Commitment
- 2006 Report, Micronesia Challenge Action Planning Meeting
- 2008 Report, 1st Micronesia Challenge Measures Meeting
- 2008 Report, Lessons Learned
- 2009 Report, Micronesia Challenge Climate Change Meeting
- 2009 Micronesia Challenge Fact Sheet
- 2009 Report, 2nd Micronesia Challenge Measures Meeting
- 2011 Progress Report on Implementation of Micronesia Challenge 2006-2011
- 2011 Report, 3rd Micronesia Challenge Terrestrial Measures Meeting
- 2012 Report, 4th Micronesia Challenge Measures Meeting
The Micronesia Challenge Community is a global network, both on-line and on-the-ground, of islanders and leaders who work with international governments and organizations, corporations, schools, and educators. This sense of community is our strength.
On the governmental level, The Micronesia Challenge itself is multi-jurisdiction commitment between The Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, Guam, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Island. The effort is supported by the United States Department of Interior, the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and The Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety of Germany. Within these governments and agencies are several sub-agencies and offices that assist in The Challenge.
In addition, the Challenge is supported by The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, The Nature Conservancy and Conservation International. Through the marketing department, the Micronesia Challenge works with private corporations within Micronesia to sponsor and fund its activities.
The education outreach portion of our community is anchored by our Education Outreach platforms that reach out to primary and secondary, and post-secondary levels, as well as communities of islanders via workshops and our annual ConserFair.